Friday, August 25, 2017

August 25, 2017

We are Family!


I love talking with and listening to TCAPS teachers.  We have some amazingly knowledgeable and talented staff members. I was reminded again of this at CHS this morning when I walked in and saw a whole bunch of math teachers, eager to come in on a day off and learn about curriculum units.  I listened to teachers talking with HMH (Houghton-Mifflin-Harcourt) trainers and data folks later today at Boardman and was again reminded that I'm surrounded by absolutely top notch teachers all around this district.

And yet, we do okay when it comes to State accountability measures, SAT, and other "get you in the paper" kind of metrics.  Yes, I know there's more to education than that, but I gotta admit, it's a little tough to take when other districts perform higher on measures than ALL TCAPS students do.  It's a little tough to take because I know we have the talent and resources to do much better, if only we could coordinate all of those efforts as a system.

I believe that we should be great for every kid, whether you measure that on standardized tests, performance tasks,  or on social / emotional measures.  I believe that with our people and our facilities, and our resources, we should be the district of choice, bar none, for everyone in Michigan north of Grand Rapids.  Period.

In the process of becoming as good as we are, our system has become a little fragmented. We need clear, consistent systems to harness the great work of our great people.This is what the work of the blueprint is all about.  It's about building better systems. Coherent, clear, repeatable systems.  If we can build better systems, increase coherence, clarity, and consistency, our people, facilities, and resources will truly shine and benefit every single student who walks through our doors. The blueprint is about making your work easier, more efficient, and maximizing results for each and every TCAPS student.


Articles of the Week:

If you build it...1:1 Devices alone don't shine in Maine.

Michigan Career Pathway Alliance

Elon Musk leads 116 experts calling for outright ban of killer robots
Arguments scheduled in suit seeking aid for Flint school children exposed to lead
Steelcase Foundation gives Kentwood schools grant for Parent Academy

Thanks and Appreciation
Jennifer Ciolek: Thank you for your work on the science curriculum units this summer!  Job well done! Would've included you last week, but I missed you on the list somehow. Thanks for your work!
I love science!

Every teacher who has attended extra training this summer...that's great, thank you!
I know not everyone could make it, but it was such fun to see so many of you and to feel your energy and excitement for going back to class.

Facilities:  Thank you for having things ready to go for registrations and athletic events. Your pride in your work is evident and we appreciate all you do!


Announcements:

Blueprint Documents via TEAM DRIVE / TCAPS Web Page


  • Blueprint documents will be available via a Google Team Drive. When it's up and running, we will add you to the list of folks with permission and you'll receive an email notice.  This should happen later this evening.


Memberships Purchased - TCAA Contract
MEMSPA / MI-ASCD will be emailing all elementary and  middle school principals in the next few weeks with membership confirmation. MASSP will be emailing all secondary principals with membership confirmation as well. Remember these funds have been decreased from site principals office accounts so we could make a group purchase at reduced rates.

Reminders:
  • Thirlby Kick-Off: August 28 (7:30am - 9:00am)
  • Teacher Work Days: August 28 - Thirlby Kick-off plus 9:30 - 12:30 time-sheet DPPD possibilities:  August 29 & 30  PD days, August 31 Teacher Work Day - 2 hour staff meeting 
  • First Day of School: September 5
  • Curriculum Unit Access is only granted through your school (TCAPS) gmail address.  Requests for access from your personal email addresses, or any other address outside of the TCAPS domain cannot be granted.



The true test of self-confidence is the courage to be open -- to welcome change and new ideas regardless of their source.
Jack Welch,
corporate leader



PARKER'S CALENDAR:
THIS WEEK:

Monday
  • Math PD Kickoff
  • ELA Training for Principals (Journeys)
  • HMH Data Meeting
Tuesday
  • ET
  • HQV Rollout Planning
Wednesday
  • DAN
  • Technology / Curriculum
  • TCW Freshman Football (Thirlby)
Thursday
  • Parker / Chandler
  • JPM
  • Calendar
  • Rotary backpack distribution
  • HR / Policy
Friday
  • Out of District
NEXT WEEK:
Monday
  • Welcome Back at Thirlby!
  • Huddle
  • Berck/Parker
  • Soma/Parker/Houghton/Skodack
  • Board Business Meeting
Tuesday
  • MyPerspectives/Journeys PD
  • ET
  • Soma/Parker Bi-Weekly
Wednesday
  • Huddle
  • ISD Meeting
Thursday
  • Huddle
  • DAN
Friday
  • Soccer

This Week in Photos:

Here at the Boardman Administration Center, we all got pretty excited about the solar eclipse.  Thought I would share some photos of you with  the crew in action...

#Merica
#totaleclipseoftheheart
#noskyeclipseselfie
#seriouslywheresthesky
#longestivebeenoutsideallsummer


 #thisjustin
#icanseethirlbyfromhere

#onceortwiceinalifetimeevent
#whydomyeyesfeelfunny
#wherestheexcedrin
#whbookinventory
#whystherepolicetape

#maddiesfirstgradeteacher
#norrisnavigators
#thankyoumrschase
#journeysinventory2017

#willsfirstgame
#wednesdaynightlights
#sorrymrbissinger
#wheresthemeeting
#stillsleavingalready

#it
#iseeyourproblemrighthere
#isthisthingon

#backpacksforkids
#thankyoutcsunriserotaryclub

#stillglamorous
#noplacelikehome

#guitarsliondog

#hashtag.


Have a great weekend!